Apparently, Goals suck too. Or at least I suck. Reviewing the goals I set for myself last year, I see that I didn’t really do too well.
1. Lose 30 lbs. I don’t want a perfect body, but I do want to get rid of this spare tire I’m lugging around. Getting down to 195 would do most of that.
FAIL. I weigh as much as last year at this time, almost to the pound.
2. Exercise 3x weekly, for at least 30 minutes. I’m going to keep a journal and everything.
FAIL. I lasted until early February.
3. Launch BillOnSite. There’ll be more on this later, but I think I have a real winner (or at least some real potential) here.
WIN! I actually launched the site! That said, I haven’t really developed it into a winner yet.
4. Pay off my PC Financial Mastercard. My strategy here is that every non-rent paycheque is used to reduce it a further $500 from last time. So if it’s at $2000 and I spend $40 in the intervening time, I have to put $540 on it to “catch up”. I don’t know how well that will work, but even if it doesn’t, I should still be able to pay the whole thing off this year.
FAIL. Though getting laid off sure didn’t help.
New Goals for 2010
- Lose 30 lbs. This one I’m carrying over, since it’s pretty worthwhile.
- Develop Bill On Site into something at at least pays its own bills.
- Pay off my PC Financial Mastercard. Again, I’m carrying this over. Hopefully this year I won’t be laid off halfway through it and I can afford to throw money at it until it’s dead.
- Have a playable demo. I’m working on a game now – name unknown, but it goes by “Zombie Fortress” until I can dig up a better one – and I want to have something I can actually show someone so they understand how the game plays. It’s one of those sandbox games where the attention to detail really makes the game, so I’m not planning on finishing it this year, but I want to be able to load it up and say “So look, the survivor goes over here and he picks up the gas can, but there’s a zombie there and he’s a cowardly survivor, so he drops the gas can and runs. Neat, huh?”
Unachievable goal: Rig the lottery so that Stephen Harper wins six times in a row, even though he’s not playing, and he undergoes an embarassing investigation. The scandal loses him the Prime Minister’s seat.
In other news, while not a goal or a resolution, I do plan on blogging more. It occurs to me that more things of note happened to me in ’09 than are reflected on this blog, and that’s kind of a shame. I mean, nowhere on here does it say how I’m now working for The Hill Times in downtown Ottawa, and loving it. I mean, what the heck’s the point of that?